Fermenting Sea Kelp

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting Sea Kelp

Postby PrairieMary on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi, Just new here, so thrilling to find a site dedicated to fermenting!
I was raised on kraut, and pickles done this way, would love to find a source for kraut juice, as I love to drink it. I can't wait to do some fermenting very soon.
I am trying to find a recipe to ferment sea kelp, as I am really into making my own skin care products, and fermented sea kelp is being added to all of the new anti-aging face creams. Can any one please help me? Thanks.
PrairieMary

Re: Fermenting Sea Kelp

Postby WildWalker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:49 pm

For eating, try lacto-fermenting it in leftover sauerkraut juice for 2-3 weeks. Chop into small pieces.
WildWalker

Postby jpt120 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi PrairieMary,

Don't know if you are still around but just came about your post. I've been fermenting seaweed for a while now for the purpose of making a plant fertilizer for my garden veggies. My method has been to ferment it in a water kefir type mixture; that is, with water kefir grains and the normal water kefir food (sugar) and then the seaweed. I have never actually measured my added seaweed, just sort of eyeball what I think a safe amount is for my grains to process. But in general it is very safe for the grains seeing as though one of the main additives to perk up grains is coral calcium- a very similar substance as seaweed. I've been doing it for years and my grains are still alive and kicking.

Anyway, that's the only way I could imagine that you could ferment seaweed for purposes of skin care. My experience is that it is also safe to apply kefir water to the skin. I have a friend who does it often and he only reports positive effects.

If you have other info on this, please let me know because i am interested in learning more about it for plant fertilizer. not sure what i am looking for but any information that you may feel is relevant please pass on!
jpt120

Postby PrairieMary on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:36 am

Wow, perfect timing, have been gone since posting question, just checked back tonight!
Thanks for the information, I will give this a try and see what happens.
I am like your friend, every now and then, I will coat my face with plain yogurt, as it exfoliates the dead skin cells off. No moisturizers will sink into the skin if it has not been exfoliated, as there is no where for it to go. I try to keep my skin looking as good as I can, and love making my own products. I am not the kind of girl who will think nothing of spending hundreds on chemical skin care, rather do it myself, with ingredients that I know.
If I find anything out in cyber space to help you with your garden, I will post it here, so keep checking back. Thanks again!
PrairieMary

Postby FermenTed on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 am

If you are fermenting it in sauerkraut juice, do you blanch the kelp first or just use it straight from the sea?
...something is always bubbing up

www.fermentationrecipes.com
FermenTed

Return to Miscellaneous