DO bacteria in fermented oats survive boiling?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

DO bacteria in fermented oats survive boiling?

Postby bravebird on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am

I just wish there was more science behind this :(
I notice after fermented my oatmeal for a few days and preparing it by boiling it with water, it continues to "bubble" and show activity even AFTER the boiling heat. Does this mean some of the bacteria (i used whey from yogurt to ferment) survive high heats?
bravebird

Re: DO bacteria in fermented oats survive boiling?

Postby Tim Hall on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:25 pm

The bacteria form the whey/yogurt are probably not surviving boiling. Grains can carry a lot of different bugs on them, and when the grain dries out many of these bacteria form endospores...that is they go dormant and form a protective layer around themselves. When bacteria are this state they can often survive short periods of high heat.

To counter this you can soak your grains for 12-24 hrs at room temperature (or a little warmer) to coax the bacteria out of this protective state. What you're doing is actually letting them come back to 'life' and grow some. In this state they are much more vulnerable to heat processing.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: DO bacteria in fermented oats survive boiling?

Postby bravebird on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Tim Hall wrote:The bacteria form the whey/yogurt are probably not surviving boiling. Grains can carry a lot of different bugs on them, and when the grain dries out many of these bacteria form endospores...that is they go dormant and form a protective layer around themselves. When bacteria are this state they can often survive short periods of high heat.

To counter this you can soak your grains for 12-24 hrs at room temperature (or a little warmer) to coax the bacteria out of this protective state. What you're doing is actually letting them come back to 'life' and grow some. In this state they are much more vulnerable to heat processing.

well whatever the case i find it odd that my oatmeal still bubbles after cooking. i allow them to soak at least 12 hours. i have a perpetual oatmeal bottle goin on...mixing whey, water, and oats and then adding and removing servings of oatmeal when i'm ready to make some.
bravebird

Return to Miscellaneous