Fermenting cinnamon . . .

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting cinnamon . . .

Postby Frozenthunderbolt on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 am

Here's an interesting one:

I've been taking cinnamon 3x daily by mixing powdered cinnamon with water and letting it sit in the glass to settle out, drinking the water off the top and then mixing more cinnamon powder into the sludge and refilling with water.

Now, about a week in there is a constant layer of powder on top with just enough bubbles to keep it suspended - I can only imagine that i have some kind of 'cinnamon sough-dough type starter"

Sure you say, and?

Well cinnamon is a powerful preservative - it is (by many accounts) anti- pretty well everything!

It hasn't given the drink a perceptible change in flavour, probable due to the liquid being changed thrice a day.
I'm going to keep going with the same glass then try and take some off and ferment? it for longer to see if there is a more pronounced effect that might let me figure out what kind of culture is in it.

Anyone else encountered this before or like to chime in with possibilities?
Frozenthunderbolt

Re: Fermenting cinnamon . . .

Postby Gutted on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 am

If your drinking from it then you could be introducing bacteria from your mouth so you just get an intense dose of what you already have in your mouth which might not be beneficial. Some bacteria are responsible for dental plaque, gum disease and tooth decay. Changing the oral environment can stop these things from causing any problems.
Gutted

Postby Marveen on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:02 pm

I agree ^.
I would be very interested in how to ferment cinnamon (I do a cinnamon and papaya with an absolute ton of cinnamon powder which works fine but would be good to ferment whole root or just cinnamon)but I wouldn't be using cinnamon which had been exposed repeatedly to my saliva.

Maybe do as you are doing in another glass, take the water off but not with your mouth? ;)
Marveen

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:43 pm

could you post your recipe for your papaya ferment with cinnamon?
Those are two of my gangs fav things!!! That sounds sooooooooooooooooo good!!!

TIA
Aliyanna
Aliyanna

Postby Marveen on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi, I'm not grat with recipes, I tend to heap things into a jar and hope it works. I googled fermented papaya and found a YouTube video by tony somebody (it's the first one that come s up). He does an open ferment and it takes a week, I don't trust open in my house so I did a closed and it took a fair bit longer.

He basically covers the papaya with cinnamon and I think also turmeric (another super spice) and lets it stand.

He says it tastes awful, I wanted something a bit nicer so I fermented papaya with sweet onion and ripe mango all chopped up finely with loads and loads of cinnamon and also a fair it of turmeric powder. The papaya went much slower than I would have thought for fruit but I am now realising this is down to the cinnamon.
Anyway, at one stage it tasted DIVINE as the fruit was still sweet with the onion but not really very fermented, now it has definitely fermented it doesn't taste so much of papaya, or cinnamon for that matter but is still fine as pickle on sandwiches or once you get used to it just on a spoon before eating meat/cheese/bread as it the papain enzyme helps digestion (this is why I made it anyways).

So yea, recipe is finely chop a papaya, a mango and a sweet onion, add lots of cinnamon and turmeric and mix up and mash up a bit, jar.

I sealed this with olive oil as I do with most ferments that don't have a brine as it keeps the air out. It has kept great and I've had no problems with any mould this way.
Marveen

Return to Miscellaneous