Anyone tried adding greens powders, superfoods, tonic herbs?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Anyone tried adding greens powders, superfoods, tonic herbs?

Postby Martie on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 am

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about fermenting superfoods and herbs such as chlorella, spirulina, ginseng, gojiberries, noni, shizandra, reishi, marine phytoplankton etc etc?
For example I just made some kimchi and I got the urge to put in something more in the mix, so I added a teaspoon of each of HealthForce Nutritionals "Vitamineral Earth", "Vitamineral Green" and "Fruits of the Earth" (please check out their page for all the ingredients, it's basically powders of all kinds of root veggies, grasses and berries), and then I added about 30ml of some super juice made completely from Acai, Mangosteen, Goji, Camu Camu, Noni, Maqui and Aloe Vera.

Does anyone have any idea of possible benefits or side effects of mixing all these into a fermentation (this time kimchi)?
Or has any one read or heard of simillar "experiments" done like this?

In the past people never had the availabilty of all these superfoods and herbs like we have now.
Martie

Re: Anyone tried adding greens powders, superfoods, tonic he

Postby bravebird on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:29 pm

i just fermented (secondary fermentation) my kefir with wheatgrass powder, hehe. i actually like the texture better this way and it seems to fully dissolve, unlike when you quickly mix it with water/milk. Tastes good so far...not able to notice any significant side effects though.
bravebird

Re: Anyone tried adding greens powders, superfoods, tonic he

Postby Gutted on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:45 am

Some of them are probably strongly anti bacterial so they could retard fermentation. However you can take that risk by adding anything none standard such as common herbs.

It might be worth researching their health effects before adding them to find out whether there is any noted antibacterial action. If they are anti fungal/yeast then don't worry about it unless you are culturing something which is meant to contain yeast.
Gutted

Return to Miscellaneous