Does Maple Syrup Make Water Kefir Syrupy???

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Does Maple Syrup Make Water Kefir Syrupy???

Postby mbarral on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Ratio:
1/2 Cup of Water Kefir Grains
1 Cup of Organic Maple Syrup Grade B
1 Gallon of Water

I used the ratio above and the grains grew drastically in quantity the first day and the second day they had doubled. There was a lot of activity, you could see them going up and down the glass jar and they looked happy (???) Also, the grains also grew in size a bit and there was a ton of fizz.

However, I was not able to empty the water out at 48 hrs and had to wait closer to 68 hrs!!! When I was pouring out the water it seemed slightly syrupy. I smelled it and tasted it, both were fine. But I am unsure as to if it is safe to drink. There aren't any white bubbles or particles swimming around. I checked pictures but nothing looked to match.

I have not been able to find an article in regards to maple syrup making the water syrupy. I have read that maple syrup is a good sugar to use because of its mineral content.

Could I have used too much? Anyone else have had the same outcome. Also, my apartment is slightly warm, 70-80 degrees, but I had the fan on over them.

I made two other 1 gal. batches at the same time. For the 2nd batch I used 1 cup of coconut sugar and 1 tablespoon of non-concentrated liquid minerals; this batch also grew a ton and the mixture was fine. The 3rd batch I used 1 cup of organic unrefined cane sugar and a whole eggshell and this batch was also fine, but hardly grew.

Thank you for your response in advance ;-)

ML
mbarral

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments