Look for the mistake - pineaple vinegar

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Look for the mistake - pineaple vinegar

Postby AlexandraPchb on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:36 am

Hello,
I followed a recipe I found and the resulting drink (only after 3 days of fermenting) tastes of decomposition, rotting, rather than the usual nice taste of fermentation.

Here is the recipe I followed. I omited the fresh or dried oregano as I didnt have any.

- the core of a medium pineaple, as well as its skin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
dried or fresh oregano
2 quarts filtered water.

The pineaple wasn't organic so I sprayed it with the vegewash (which is supposed to remove pesticides) and choped the core and the skin and put it in the jar. Added the cayenne and the water.
3 days later, as said, it is sparkly BUT tastes of rotting pineaple.

I did not add any starter, as I thought the recipe knew what it was doing.

What is wrong with this recipe - have you got any idea?

My idea is
1) there is no salt added, nor sugar, perhaps adding a lot of sugar would have helped, as well as a pinch of salt?
2) I should have added some ferment, either Kombucha, or kefir whey, or perhaps fermented beet juice?

What would you advise? I would really like to get that recipe to work.

PS: I have just started a beetroot borscht, and there were tiny moulds on the top after only 2 days - I added ginger bug to it (but no whey this time). It is amazing as it is very salty and shouldn't develop moulds yet??? (the jar was very clean etc) (so of course, I removed the moulds, and added a glass of kombucha as well as half a glass of kefir, I don't know if those two do get on but they seemed to give good results in the past ;-)
AlexandraPchb

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments