Water Kefir grains

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Water Kefir grains

Postby OldRelayer on Sun May 22, 2011 11:24 am

I am very new to fermentation. I wanted to start with making Kefir, it seemed easy enough to do from all the things I saw on Youtube. I bought some grains via Amazon.com but Amazon obviously doesn't grow grains, it is private concessions on Amazon. Not only did it take forever to get them, I have been trying to grow the 1/2 tablespoon(measured) that I received, knowing that the small amount I have won't do much. It is now day 4 and they have done nothing, they are still 1/2 tablespoon, I was under the impressions that these would grow like crazy. I used pure Maple syrup 1/4 cup per quart jar, I saw that it is suppose to be the best for growing grains and I could almost see them grow that is how fast it is suppose to happen. The seller says due to the shock of travel, it could take two weeks to start to grow. That doesn't make sense to me, it isn't a 7 year old kid on his first bus ride alone, they were packaged pretty well I thought and they didn't look damaged at all, actually they looked healthy to my untrained eye.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is the seller right and because of shippment it could take a long time? Do they sell these in health food stores? I am not in good health and I really thought that Kefir and other fermented foods could help me, I am really dissappointed at this point.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Re: Water Kefir grains

Postby Tim Hall on Sun May 22, 2011 11:46 am

The seller says due to the shock of travel, it could take two weeks to start to grow.

This is actually entirely plausible. Believe it or not a lot of these microbes can be very temperamental about change in environment, and especially change in growing medium...

I used pure Maple syrup...

If these water kefir grains have been eating cane sugar all their lives, feeding them maple suryp, or anything other than what they're used to, may shock them a little. I'm not familiar with any issues with using maple syrup, but it might not be the best medium for getting them started. Maple syrup is boiled down and at at least partly caramelized. Microbes tend to be not so happy about burnt sugar, unless this is what they've been adapted for.

Might try just feeding them sugar (if this is what they've lived on), and see what happens.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby OldRelayer on Sun May 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks Tim, both for the nice reply and showing how to better navigate the site. I will definetly try sugar and see if that helps. There is always a lot of information and some of it doesn't take into account all the determing factors for your situation, the sell did say to use sugar but I thought that since maple syrup was suppose to be better, I wanted them to grow as fast as possible but I may have shot myself in the foot.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Postby Tim Hall on Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Barry, if you want to use maple syrup, you might try getting them built up on cane sugar first, then take half your grains and start them on maple syrup. That way you have a back up, if for some reason they just don't like maple.

Cultures will very often adapt to new growing media, but sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby OldRelayer on Tue May 24, 2011 10:50 am

Well, I am trying what the seller suggested, that is half the water to 1/2 gallon and 4 tablespoons of sugar. Its been a couple of days and of course they look just like I put them in, it may be Christmas before I get my first glass of Kefir.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Postby brazilamazon on Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 am

Have you tried using a tiny volume, since you have a tiny amount of grains? My recipe calls for 1/2 gallon water, with 2 heaping TBS of sugar and 1/3 cup of grains. A tsp is 1/12 of that volume of grains, so adjust accordingly and keep at 50-60 degrees (basement temps). See if that helps you get something before Christmas!
brazilamazon

Postby OldRelayer on Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 am

Opps, I just noticed something, I said 1/2 gallon, I meant 1/2 quart. I thought they liked it warmer, but it isn't that warm here yet so I guess that is ok.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Postby OldRelayer on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am

Well, I am finally making Kefir. The seller sent me another tablespoon(you think they would send more), I added it to the first 1/2 Tablespoon and it does indeed make Kefir. In the mean time another seller sent me 1/3 of a cup just so I would say he was a good guy which he is. Keysand on Amazon if your interested. So I have been making about 3 1/2 water bottles full every 48 hours. I have been using, raisins(which I like but they are dirty and get into the grains, thinking of trying cheese cloth), cranberry, peach and strawberry. I like the strawberry/peach quite well. I am able to drink 2 bottles a day and I love it, it is so refreshing. I still haven't gotten my wife to try it, too bad I know she would like it.

Both sets of grains and I keep them separate are growing slightly, I think as the weather gets hotter they will grow faster.

I thought I would post an update.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments