Fermenting V8 Juice

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting V8 Juice

Postby emilydavis on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 am

Can I ferment something that comes out of a can, already cooked, etc., like V8 juice? What I mean is, will the probiotic strains appear into it if I ferment it on the counter, just like a fresh veggie juice?
emilydavis

Re: Fermenting V8 Juice

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

My guess is that you'll have to culture it with something if you want it colonized by desirable microorganisms. Maybe just putting a cabbage leaf in it would be enough.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Fermenting V8 Juice

Postby hortoholic on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm no microbiologist but it may ferment but it would be extremely difficult to tell which bacteria you have going on in there. Also if the v8 is pasteurized then there will be no bacteria present. As an "insurance policy" you can purchase a lactic acid bacteria/ vegetable starter culture and put it in there then it will ferment. As I said, if it's been pasteurized there will be no bacteria so you have to add the macrobiotic stains to your juice. I also second the cabbage leaf idea but from my understanding it has to be raw. Not using any culture or anything you could possibly increase the likelihood of bad/undesirable mold or bacteria.
hortoholic

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments