What is this? (Water Kefir)

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

What is this? (Water Kefir)

Postby erickwesz on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 am

Does anyone know what is this white things on my water kefir grains? Its on the bottom of the grains, and also on some large grains.. Is it normal? They are still active and multiply around 10% - 40% per 24 hours and still producing a pleasant water kefir.

IMG_0153a.JPG
IMG_0153a.JPG (61.76 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

IMG_0153b.JPG
IMG_0153b.JPG (66.44 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

Anyway I got the grains from my friends a month ago. After 1 week adaptation, they started to multiply. I feed them with organic cane sugar and water mostly, sometime I add raisins or goji berries and a pinch of baking soda or himalayan salt.. I had no problem with them but lately I spot those white things and I wonder if it's normal or maybe dangerous?

Ive tried to wash them but no luck, it still there.

Need advice thanks
Anyway sorry for my English.. hope you guys understand :)

Best regards,
Erick
Attachments
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG (221.56 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
erickwesz

Re: What is this? (Water Kefir)

Postby dri on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

Never seen them (but only been doing kefir for a month). Were these grains converted to water kefir from milk kefir? The white in the grains looks like parts of white milk kefir grains. Maybe as they grow they have been collecting parts of the original milk grains. Or maybe the grains are pulling some chemicals from when you add either fruits or baking soda out to help form the white structures like milk-kefir).
dri

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments