Water Kefir vs Yeast-Fermented Soda

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Water Kefir vs Yeast-Fermented Soda

Postby MkaliHashiki on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 am

What is generally the difference in taste & health benefits? I've been brewing soda for a couple of months, and just heard about water kefir by reading this board today! I'm now kind of interested in trying to make water kefir, but when I hear kefir, I automatically think of the milk drink, and I shudder.

MkH
MkaliHashiki

Re: Water Kefir vs Yeast-Fermented Soda

Postby OldRelayer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 am

I don't have any idea what yeast-fermented soda is, sounds like it might be worth a try.

I do make water Kefir and I really do enjoy it and it does have some health benefits, but nobody is sure quite what they are other than digestive. I am with you on the milk, yuk.. The beauty of water kefir is once you get your grains growing which is a natural process of making the kefir you will have a lifetime supply and you won't know what to do with all of it. I usually give a couple bottles away from each batch and if someone seems to like it then I offer them a chance to make their own. Right now I am making orange and lemon kefir because oranges were on sale. I also really like strawberry/lemon more or less a lemonade, very refreshing. I can give you a really good source for grains, not all sellers are as good as this one.

I just noticed his prices went up, But they are excellent grains that grow out very well and you will never have to buy them again.
http://www.amazon.com/Keysands-Organic-Grains-Crystals-Tibicos/dp/B0051WV5K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310389434&sr=8-2

What I do know is that grains grow much better in the warmer months. You can save off some as a just in case and store them in the fridge. It is a great summer time drink with some health benefits and it is really cheap to make, you don't have to flavor it but I just look out for fruit that is on sale, pretty much anything will work.

What I have found out is if you put the fruit in while making the kefir it does make the grains dirty so I make the Kefir and then flavor it. If it is something like orange, there is plenty of juice to puree everything, for other things I use a little kefir for the base liquid needed by blenders. I just use my immersion blender in a big bowl and put it into a plastic bottle(we use a lot of bottled water so it is easy for us, not sure how to do it another way but you will find out for your self.

It is so easy to make, best to start with 4 tablespoons of grains but most sellers only give you from 1/2 to 1 tablespoon, which is why I like Keysand he gives you a full 4 tablespoons, actually a bit more.
Use this basic recipe, and then just multiply it by considering how much grain you have. Just making the kefir this time of the year, those 4 tbs will grow out to 6 fairly quickly, then you can make more kefir. Some metals will react to the grains and kill them, so it is best to not take a chance and use all plastic utensils.

1 tablespoon grains(rinse before each use, warm but not hot water, hot water will kill your grains)

1 tablespoon sugar(household sugar is fine but anything including real maple syrup can be used)

1 cup of water

So with 4 tbs of grains you can make 4 cups of kefir. Cover and let set in a warm place for 48 hours and what will be left is something that is not sweet because the grains used the sugar, could be slightly tart and may have some bubbles, the process does make a slight amount of C02.

Now you know what I know about Kefir, good luck.

Barry
OldRelayer

Postby MkaliHashiki on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanx Barry! I'm definitely thinking about giving water kefir a try.

OldRelayer wrote:I don't have any idea what yeast-fermented soda is, sounds like it might be worth a try.

It's sodapop made by adding yeast to flavored sugar water basically. I mostly make very gingery gingerale (I'm trying to get more ginger in my diet for the anti-inflammation properties, and this seemed like a fun way), but I've also made sorrel punch soda (the caribbean drink made from hibiscus, no sorrel actually involved), and right now I'm making a lemonbalm-lavendar-peppermint soda. I have plans for celery soda, mango soda, and watermelon soda.

MkH
MkaliHashiki

Postby OldRelayer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Years ago I had a device that made soda water, it worked good. Then I had a spray that flavored it with lemon or whatever and practically nothing to it and it was refreshing.

I also saw on youtube this guy making soda water with basically two bottles tied together through a tube and then he made a little sachet with baking soda in one and it pushed the carbonation into the other bottle, I thought it was pretty neat. My kefir doesn't have as much fizz as I thought it would, still good. I may rig up one of those bottle thingmes sometime and add carbonation to my Kefir.

Barry
OldRelayer

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments