kombucha question

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

kombucha question

Postby sjarche on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 pm

I have gotten my kombucha mother in a mess. By accident, my real mother poured bleach water into my kombucha mother to try and clean out the bottle it was in, and I am not sure I can salvage it. Some of the mother turned a brownish color but some is still whitish and it still smells healthy. Is there any way to tell if the mother is still good?
sjarche

Re: kombucha question

Postby sevenflowers on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 am

I would not use that mother since it has been exposed to bleach. Remember, in making kombucha...the mother eats the sugar and in this case, she absorbed the bleach. So in making more kombucha with that mother.....she will be putting bleach into your next batch; not to mention, this couldn't have been good for the mother. It might be best to not use her again. Hope this helps.
sevenflowers

Re: kombucha question

Postby Bunny Speakman on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 am

I disagree. Combucha is known to turn dark brown. It will also layer with the lower layer being whitish. It can fill a whole jar of tea with layers of mother. Just let it sit. It is more difficult to kill than you realize. I know, I left one in a jar, forgotten for about 6 months once under the kitchen sink. Multiple mothers. The chlorine will eventually go bye bye.
Bunny Speakman

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments