First ginger beer

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First ginger beer

Postby fermented-vegan on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 am

Hello People, :)

So I started my first ginger beer ferment yesterday based on the following post.
http://www.wildfermentation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220

I'm using a one quart canning jar with the lid slightly loose to attempt to allow excess CO2 to escape, while trying to keep some pressure in it to hopefully get it well carbonated. I'm keeping a close eye on it, as I do not want any messy explosions in my kitchen. LOL

Being my first time, I have no idea if the proportion of ingredients I used is correct, or will end up tasting the way I like.

I used a whole ginger root about 5 inches long. Grated it without removing the outer skin. Loosely measured it to about 1/2 cup. I did not pack it down into the measuring cup. So it may not have been a good measurement. I used an equal amount(1/2 cup) of 100% real maple syrup. The juice of one lime. And three whole cloves.

What I'm hoping for is a just slightly sweet, somewhat sour/tangy, but very strong in ginger flavor soda. In hind sight, I suspect I may have used too much maple syrup, and possibly too much ginger root. We'll see. We learn from our experiences, right? :D

So far, no obvious or significant bubbling has started. I'll keep everyone posted here.

Peace & Love from a vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Re: First ginger beer

Postby fermented-vegan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:01 am

So it's been about three and a half days. And no bubbling is occurring. But I did taste it for the first time today, and mmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmhhhhh it tastes good!!!! It's just not carbonated. :( It's a little on the sweeter side than I'd like, but not unbearably so. And very gingery tasting!

I've looked at another web site that has ginger beer instructions. And this person forgoes the wild fermentation route and uses champagnes yeast to get the carbonation happening. But in the comments below, people have said they have successfully done it with bread yeast also, which I happen to have some lying around. So if nothing happens in one or two more days, I'll consider adding a small amount of bread yeast.

Although, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the ginger beer temperature needs to get warmer than the approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit it's been, for the wild yeasts to really get going. I think I'll try setting the bottle in the sunshine to warm it up today.

fermented-vegan

Postby fermented-vegan on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 am

So it was not sunny enough yesterday for putting it in the sunshine to help. So that evening I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of bread yeast. And within an hour or so it started bubbling very nicely, and still is going. This wasn't my desired route. But next time I will look at warming up the mixture and storing it in a cooler wrapped in blankets to see if that will get it fermenting with just wild yeasts.

fermented-vegan

Postby fermented-vegan on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:29 am

I jarred my ginger beer yesterday. It was still bubbling. But the flavor had really changed, and I did not want it to change anymore. It was very fermented tasting and not what I was looking for. Also, it was not sweet at all. The yeast had devoured all the maple syrup. So my first try was not very successful, but that's how you learn. Adding the yeast was a bad idea I think. It was much more palatable before that, just not fizzy.

fermented-vegan

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments