I would like to buy a JUN scoby and live in the uk

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

I would like to buy a JUN scoby and live in the uk

Postby rose on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 am

Hi

Does anyone have a jun scoby they could sell me?
I would be really grateful.my email is gymtoes@hotmail.com
Thanks
rose

Re: I would like to buy a JUN scoby and live in the uk

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:57 pm

I am also looking for a Jun Scoby and I live in Canada. Any leads would be appreciated! <tdlotus@gmail.com> Thanks, D
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby laripu on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Here you go, you can save money by making it yourself... easy as 3.1415926.... approximately.

http://youtu.be/uTs6bJ-O-1Q

That video shows how to make a SCOBY for regular kombucha. Jun is made with honey and green tea instead of sugar and black tea.

So do as he shows, but use green tea, and since honey is less fermentable than sugar, use 50% more. For the arithmetic-impaired that's the same amount plus half again as much. Or 1.5 times.

My preference would be to not add the honey while boiling, but instead after the pot is removed from the heat. Honey has delicate volatile flavors that are driven off by boiling. Don't forget to stir well when you add the honey.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
laripu

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Thank you for the information on how to make your own Jun scoby. I have kombucha scobies at home already that I could convert to a Jun scoby using the method suggested above. I have however read certain authors who say that using honey will eventually kill or change the composition of the scoby. Anyone know about this? I was looking for a Jun scoby strain because I thought there might be something more tolerable in the strain that would allow for the use of honey and green tea. I have also read various ideas of how to make Jun tea including that it is better when stored in the fridge for long period of time up to one year. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has information to share on this. Thanks!
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby jamievolcano on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Tdlotus@gmail.com wrote:Thank you for the information on how to make your own Jun scoby. I have kombucha scobies at home already that I could convert to a Jun scoby using the method suggested above. I have however read certain authors who say that using honey will eventually kill or change the composition of the scoby. Anyone know about this? I was looking for a Jun scoby strain because I thought there might be something more tolerable in the strain that would allow for the use of honey and green tea. I have also read various ideas of how to make Jun tea including that it is better when stored in the fridge for long period of time up to one year. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has information to share on this. Thanks!

This would work if you were using a bottle of Jun to create the scoby. Jun scobies are bacteria based and the goal is to keep them yeast free. Kombucha scobies are a combination.

Be sure you use raw honey and let the tea mixture cool to about 90 degrees Celsius 194 Fahrenheit before you add the honey it. This way you will not kill the bacteria that the Jun scoby feeds off of. Anything over 115 kills the bacteria in the the honey.

As for storing it in the fridge you will want to make sure you don't just leave it out in glass capped and bottled until you are ready to use like some do with kombucha. Jun produces more co2 and can explode if not burped. Flip top bottles are the best choice for the second fermentation in case they do go too far. Whatever bottle you choose be sure to put the bottle in a tote or a strong cardboard box in case it does pop a top or explode. I have heard from lots of sources it DOES happen sometimes violently. 1-3 days for second fermentation depending on your temperatures. You will want to check them about every 6-12 hours once you see tiny bubbles inside the bottle to see how fast they they are building up co2 in your temps?
Aloha

I hope that is helpful.
jamievolcano

Postby laripu on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 pm

jamievolcano wrote:This would work if you were using a bottle of Jun to create the scoby. Jun scobies are bacteria based and the goal is to keep them yeast free. Kombucha scobies are a combination.

I've got a stupid question:
Since SCOBY stands for "Symbiotic Community Of Bacteria and Yeast", wouldn't that make the collection of micro-organisms that ferment Jun something other than a SCOBY?

Personally, I find it very hard to believe that the Jun organisms do not include yeast. Especially since raw unfiltered honey contains wild yeast.

I await more experienced people to comment and disabuse me of this notion.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
laripu

Postby curandera on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to purchase/pay for shipping costs for a culture of jun. I live in the Eu.

I love my kombuchas, which eat a mixture of sugar and honey and a blend of herbals with either green or black tea. However, my dear friends find boochie acidic (even when it's mild by my standards) and only enjoy it mixed with pure juices. Spoiled kids.
Anyway, I'd like to invite this little brother to a warm home :D, and pamper it with honey and some new friends.
Looks like there's none jun yet where I live. Huge fan base potential - wink, wink!

Thanks all!
curandera

Postby Psychic on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm in Toronto (Canada), an active Kombucha maker (for myself and friends). My sister in the states, bought a JUN and gifted me a few babies.
It is so good! I love it.

I have many babies that need homes.

I can sell them for $10 plus postage, let me know.
Mary
Psychic

Postby nreid on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:15 pm

@laripu

I don't profess to be a "more experienced" person in any reagrd. But I can confirm that in no way is a Jun culture free of yeast. Yeast is everywhere in our environment and all over us, inside our bodies, and yes, also inside a Jun culture and its "tea". It's a basic fact of biology that yeasts inhabit the same environments we inhabit, just like millions of other fungi and bacteria we're completely oblivious to.

For example, think of how sourdough cultures used in bread making are fermented. These cultures rely in part on wild yeasts in their surrounding enviroments to establish themselves. This is why the flavour of sourdough cultures can very so widely from place to place - even just the wild yeasts within an individual home or region can be a little different than those found in other places. (This is also why buying a sourdough culture from SanFrancisco is pointless - the culture will quickly acclimate to the wild yeasts in your own home enviroment so that it no longer retains the strains of yeasts that make SanFrancisco sourdough breads famous.) So when it comes to a Jun culture, no one can claim it is yeast-free. By virture of the way the culture is fermented via being exposed to air means it has yeast on and in it.

However, according to Hannah Crum of Kombucha Kamp, apparently "Jun cultures and Kombucha SCOBYs look similar but thrive on completely different substrates." Therefore, it is likely that due to the differences in brewing methods and in the ingredients used, the yeast compostion of a Jun culture is different from a kombucha culture. (Although brewing both Jun and kombucha in the same enviroment will result in some similarities in yeast composition.) I don't necessarily think, though, that the use of the term "SCOBY" in regard to a Jun culture is wrong, as a Jun culture is still technically a "Symbiotic Community Of Bacteria and Yeast". One reason is due to the way in which black tea is produced from fresh tea leaves (black tea is fermented) may introduce yeasts into a kombucha scoby that aren't present in a green tea. The use of honey in Jun also introduces yeasts into a Jun brew that are not necessarily present in a kombucha brew. Also, keep in mind that the production methods used to process black and green teas could vary from producer to producer depending on the quality of their practices in regard to sanitation and the storage of fresh and dried tea leaves. This too also introduces various yeasts into Jun and kombucha teas that can vary depending on the type of tea used in brews.

It's worth noting that a kombucha scoby cannot be "converted" to a Jun culture by virtue of the fact that they are just not the same colonies of organisims. As Hanna Crum points out, Jun substrates evolved differently than kombucha scobies. This is due to the difference in basic nature of the materials that comprise a Jun culture. So if you want a true Jun culture, get one. Converting a kombucha scoby into a Jun culture will only end up in something other than a Jun culture.
nreid

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments