ginger bug stopped fizzing

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

ginger bug stopped fizzing

Postby janep on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am

Hi, so I started a ginger bug 5 days ago. On the 3rd day, the bug had a nice fizz on top. I've been feeding it as scheduled, and even heard fizzing/popping sounds. on the afternoon of the 4th day, I stirred it and suddenly the bug appeared pretty flat... We just had a major temperature drop in my area, and I'm wondering if my ginger bug is dead? is there a way to revive it? I put it in a warmer spot today and fed as usual.
janep

Re: ginger bug stopped fizzing

Postby BLReynolds on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:14 pm

I have been making ginger bug sods for about a month know. Every 3'or 4 days I have quite a supply and decide to place the ginger bug in the refrigerator. It does settle down, but when I bring it to room temp again and feed it for 2 days everything is back to normal.
I have had terrific results and like these sodas so much more than water kefir. The only problem I have had is in opening the grolich type bottles. The soda is so carbonated that I can't seem to keep it all the the bottle before the stopper is fully opened. My favorite flavor so far is hibiscus lemon
BLReynolds

Re: ginger bug stopped fizzing

Postby audaciouspiglet on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm

This is eons ago so I don't know if BLReynolds, you are still around this forum! I would love to understand what is going on - Are you in a ginger growing area (somewhere southern and warm)? Is your ginger very fresh? - Maybe there is more yeast on the root - perhaps that is why you have such success, where it seems like everybody else has limited success. I'm very new and trying to get a handle on the principles behind it. Not having much success either and want to experiment. I just guessed at that because you said you had a large supply of ginger (or maybe you were referring to ginger bug). Anybody at all have thoughts on this?
audaciouspiglet

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments