Beet Kvass

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Beet Kvass

Postby kkraut on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello, I just found this forum online and it's great!! I am new to fermentation and so far have only made saurkraut. I have started to make beet kvass and I need some advice as I have no idea how to tell if it's good or not.
The recipe that I used is from Nourishing Traditions, but without the whey. Here are my questions:
- My kvass has been fermenting for 5 days now and it's starting to taste less salty, and more earthy and sour. Is this normal?
- I opened the jar twice to check on the flavor. Is it ok to open the jar during fermentation?
- When should I move it to cold storage? It's been sitting in my cupboard for 5 days.

Thank you!!
kkraut

Re: Beet Kvass

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi there,
I have been making beet kvass for some time now and wanted to share some observations and uses. I have gotten in the habit of letting my kvas sit on the counter for 7-10 days before putting it in the fridge. Then I put it in the fridge for 4-6 weeks with the beets still in the container. You will be amazed and it is soooo worth the wait. I also put a lemon and/or an orange or a bit of ginger in with the beets and salt. I do not use whey, I use kvas from the previous batch as my starter. The citrus in addition to giving it a nice background keeps the molds at bay while it ferments on the counter for a week. At the end of the time in the fridge. I strain out the beets and citrus, grind them up and out them in my next sauerkraut as the starter or I dehydrate them and use them on salads etc, Yum!
Love to hear others variations.
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby justineaton on Sat May 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Making it with some of the previous batch sounds good, but I have a question. The recipe I found uses whey and says to let it ferment for 2 days, is the difference in time because the whey speeds it up or do you just like it after a longer fermenter better? I have milk kefir that I can get lots of whey from whenever I need it. Also, since I am planning my first batch of this, what is a good recipe just so I have amounts of beats, water, salt, etc all right. Thanks
justineaton

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi,
Here is my favourite recipe. I leave mine on the counter for seven days and then in the fridge for 4-6 weeks because the taste and benefits are much better. After six weeks I strain and then bottle it in wire lock top bottles. I keep it in the fridge after that and it will often get nicely carbonated. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.
Citrus Ginger Beet Kvass
makes 1 quart
Ingredients
1 large or 2 small organic beets (the beet I had was the size of a softball)
1 organic tangerine
1 small, thin skinned organic lemon
1 tsp. to 1 tbsp. grated ginger (depending on how gingery you like it)
1/2 tbsp. sea salt
1/8 cup whey, vegetable starter, kvass from a previous batch, sauerkraut juice, etc. If none of these are available, you can use an extra
1/2 tbsp. salt.
Liquid minerals (optional)
Filtered water
Instructions
1. Scrub and peel the beets. Chop into roughly 1/2 inch cubes and place in a clean quart jar.
2. Scrub the lemon and tangerine and cut into wedges. Squeeze the juice into the jar and then add the rinds.
3. Grate the ginger and add to the jar.
4. Sprinkle the sea salt over the beets and citrus.
5. Pour the whey, vegetable starter, etc. into the jar and then fill the rest of the way with filtered water. Add a few drops of liquid minerals if you so choose.
6. Cover with a lid and seal tightly. Shake the jar around to mix well.
7. Leave at room temperature for 7 days and then move to the fridge. For best results store for three to five more weeks then strain and bottle in a wire top bottle.
8. Drink a small amount in the morning on an empty stomach.
9. You can use some of this batch of kvass to start your next batch.
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby justineaton on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 am

I'm almost to the end of my first batch which was just a basic recipe. After a couple weeks it is getting much better. The second batch I just started I also cut a lemon in half and threw into it, I didn't squeeze the juice out though I will have to remember to do that next time. It has been on the fridge for about three days I plan to give it a couple more days then put it in the fridge for a couple weeks, when I do break into it I will probably fill one of my one liter flip top bottles and leave they rest to sit even longer. I have it in a sun tea jug with a spout so I can take some out without really disturbing the rest to much. I have 3 small (golf ball sized) beats in the fridge, should I add them when I put it in the fridge or maybe add them after bottling it all and starting a second batch?
justineaton

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Sounds like you have enough to start a new quart size batch. I would consider leaving it in the fridge for longer before moving it to the bottle but it is a matter of personal taste and patience! I leave mine six weeks or more. I sometimes leave my kvass on the counter for a day after putting it in the wire top bottle it is a quick way to get a bit more carbonation going. Good Luck!
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby justineaton on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:11 am

I had some more beets that where starting to get soft so I bottled my current batch today after one week on the counter and two weeks in the fridge. I used some of this batch for my next batch, added 3 tablespoons of sea salt, 6 beats, one lemon, and a chunk of ginger chopped up. I left the beats from the previous batch in it. I will give this one six weeks in the fridge.
justineaton

Postby Croc Potty on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi I made my first batch of kvass on Friday the second ever batch on Saturday just gone, on the second batch I threw half a lemon in ( with a good squeeze) after reading this thread, had a taste of both today and WOW, the lemony one is much MUCH more palatable.
I shall drink the bare kvass whilst holding my nose but I can't wait until I'm drinking the lemon one.

Thanks tdlotus
Croc Potty

Postby Tdlotus@gmail.com on Sun May 24, 2015 6:22 pm

I leave my beet kvass on the counter for about 7 days. I put an orange and lemon in the recipe because it stops it from going mouldy on the counter and lengthens the time of the ferment. I then place it in the fridge for a few weeks before drinking. The longer it ferments the smoother, healthier and richer it is. I started mine with left over kvass and originally with some kombucha. I open it minimally so as not to introduce too many new bacteria and yeasts. Good luck!
Tdlotus@gmail.com

Postby Xiena on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Here's a question for you seasoned kvassers: How necessary is the refrigeration? Does that just prevent the mold? How dangerous is the mold? I have simply been straining and or skimming it off. My kvass has probably been out for two weeks now. It tastes fine and haven't noticed any negative side effects.
Xiena

Next

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments