Raw Goats Milk did not separate

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Raw Goats Milk did not separate

Postby Goldberry on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey there everyone,

I make whey for fermenting things from raw goats milk. Typically, I let it sit out at room temperature for a day and the milk separates into whey and cream just fine. However, last week this wasn't the case. The milk was left to sit out a total of 4 days and it ended up not ever separating.

I'm wondering why this happened?
Goldberry

Re: Raw Goats Milk did not separate

Postby Aliyanna on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 am

Goats milk is naturally homogenized....sorry about the spelling....and doesn't really separate well. When I was raising them, I used a separator...that worked best...but seemed like the separator got as much cream as I did.
Aliyanna

Postby simplecountrygirl on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 am

I know I am late posting a reply to your post but I thought I would comment anyway. I raise nubians. The cream separates readily after a few days refridgerated. Sometimes I siphon off the cream to make butter before clabbering and sometimes I don't. The temp in the kitchen will determine how quickly the milk will separate into curds and whey. I hope you have resolved your issues by now.
simplecountrygirl

Postby WWFSM on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:46 am

Simplecountrygirl, do you find that different times of year have an effect on how your raw goats milk behaves? How about goat diet?

Do you know of any fermenting recipes that are specifically for goats milk? Most of what I've seen are cows milk recipes adapted for goat milk.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments