Fermenting pea protein

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting pea protein

Postby Pedabe on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 am

Lets say I:
- fill a jar with rejuvelac.
- then i put in about a cup of pea protein powder.
- I let it be for 8 hours.

I know it will ferment. But my question is how much.
Will there be any protein left, or will all be broken down to amino acids?

The same with anti-nutrients, phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Will it be broken down or will there be something left?

Im only looking for scientific answears, thanks!
Pedabe

Re: Fermenting pea protein

Postby Tim Hall on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 am

Scientific answer: The scenario you present is way too complex for anyone (scientists included) to accurately speculate on without actual testing and data collection. Does anyone even know what specific enzymes are expressed in rejuvelac (maybe do a search in scientific publications)?

Non-scientific answer: If the latter extreme result is what you're aiming for, doubtful. Enzymes will only stretch so far, and then you need the right ones, operating under the right conditions. Miso, natto, tempeh will probably get you closer. Especially miso.

I suspect the rejuvelac will help with the phytates and probably break down some of the proteins. But to really work on the proteins the way you're talking about, you need some powerful enzymes (such as those expressed by Aspergillus) operating at optimum conditions (+/-100F in a moderately acidified environment), probably longer than 8 hours.

Cooking also denatures proteins.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: Fermenting pea protein

Postby Pedabe on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:33 am

Okay!
Thank you Tim!

Best regards,

PB
Pedabe

Return to Legume Ferments