garbanzo question

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

garbanzo question

Postby Aliyanna on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Does anyone else sprout these little jewels besides me? I sprout them for flour and a lot of other things.

My issue is that they STINK!!!! MAN!!! Garbanzos have an odd smell anyway, but when you spout em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWW!

I do a half gallon jar with a screen...and rinse 3 or 4 or more times a day...but they still STINK!!!!

What I am thinking is, the skins...as they slip and start to decay they cause the smell...but if you wash em enough to get the skins off...then they split. So not sure how you do it and keep the stinky down.

Any suggestions?
Aliyanna

Re: garbanzo question

Postby Tim Hall on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Garbanzos are a little trickier to sprout than many other legumes...they need to be rinsed during sprouting much more often. Otherwise they grow bacteria, and this is what causes the smell. I've had this happen several times. I don't know if the bacteria is good or bad, but based on the odor I've always considered it a fail, and chucked them.

Next time rinse them twice as often as you would other sprouts, and see if that solves the problem. Also old garbanzos will not sprout as easily as fresher beans (this is true for all legumes). Theoretically if they end up splitting, this isn't necessarily a problem...you just want to get all the enzyme inhibitors deactivated, and the enzymes activated.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Aliyanna on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks!

I was wondering how often you rinse yours. I do about 4 or so.. At least morning, noon, dinner, and then bedtime. Obvious times when I am in the kitchen.

I just can't believe how bad they smell!!! WHEW!! Yeah, I pitch em too....tried to put them in the oven to dry them ONCE!!! OMGosh!!! Talk about making matters worse!!!! laughing! The kids asked if somebody had a nasty accident!!! It was BAD!!!
Aliyanna

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Aliyanna, be sure you clean (really scrub) your sprouting containers well...maybe use heat, boiling water. If you go to sprout in those containers again, and they're not super clean, you'll just get the same nasty stuff growing in there again.

Maybe try rinsing the garbanzos a few times before sprouting also to wash off the resident bacteria.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Aliyanna on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 am

I usually use Star San to wash my jars and rinse the pajinkins outta em. Then rinse and soak the beans .
I buy my stuff from an Azure and a lot of their stuff is organic which means it can have a lot of little visitors with if you aren't watching....so am always rinsing first.
Thanks for the ideas and will try to rinse more and see if that helps...just pretty frustrating.
Aliyanna

Return to Legume Ferments