Kombucha and beer brewing

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kombucha and beer brewing

Postby MamaNess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Does anyone have any info on possible yeast crossover and/or contamination when brewing beer and Kombucha in the same house?
MamaNess

Re: Kombucha and beer brewing

Postby Algoldor on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:58 am

Hi MamNess,
I did not brew alcoholic beverages in the same place as I do my kombucha, but I know by experience that kombucha is very strong culture and contaminates whatever it can. I have got it for example in my water kefir culture floating a bit on the top, never forming complete SCOBY but certainly being around. My way is to do all the other brews and leave the kombucha harvesting/brewing to the end.

I'm now starting to do alcoholic fermentations too, and kombucha is one of my main concerns as contaminant. I believe that using two sets of equipment/tools, one for alcohol ferments and one for kombucha ferments should work. Certainly proper cleaning of the place and doing the brewing in different times/days should help too. I would certainly recommend to use different vessels.

Anyway I'm curious how did you manage best of luck!

Sincerely from Jeju,

Frantisek
Algoldor

Re: Kombucha and beer brewing

Postby marladurga on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am

I have the same question. I'd like to know how concerned I should be to "open air" brew (covered with a cloth) kombucha and mead in the same area. I use different containers for each. Anyway, the mead is only "open air" for about 4 days. Then it will be in jug with an airlock. I'm concerned the kombucha will contaminate the mead, since for the mead I'm using more of a wild fermentation approach - ginger starter and org. raisins.

Anyway, I was worried and so I moved the kombucha to a different place - it was ready to be bottled and then put the scoby to rest in the fridge for a while.
marladurga

Return to Alcohol Ferments