Waterkefir - not getting sour

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Waterkefir - not getting sour

Postby FermoFelix on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 am

Hello Everyone,

I just started my first water kefir with brown sugar and fruit. The Kefircrystals are exploding, doubling in only two days :D

But the last ferment was not sour at all. I actually love the sour part... had Kombucha before. Now I am wondering if I did something wrong or my cultures are not healthy ?

Thanks already....

Felix
FermoFelix

Re: Waterkefir - not getting sour

Postby Tibor on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 am

I've been making water Kefir for quite a while now and it has never been "sour". I don't believe I ever tasted water kefir before I started making it, so I assumed that the wonderful taste was what it was. It's an absolutely wonderful bubbly fermented soda. People that try mine think it's fantastic. I suppose I don't know because I've never compared mine to others. I make it out of all kinds of fruit juices and I do add lemon to sour up the sweet juices. I'm really curious how you made yours and where you got your grains. I posted the recipe for my Apple water kefir in the recipe section so check that out . I got my particular process from a friend that has been making it for years. I too assumed it would be at least a bit sour but all in all I thing it's great because it doesn't scare off my young grandkids.
Tibor

Postby FermoFelix on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Hello Tibor,

thank you so much for your feedback.

I was just used to the sourness of Kombucha, and read similar things about the WaterKefir. I am actually glad that our cultures might be okay!

We used a brown sugar block from Ecuador as a sugar source. Also added apple kiwi and ginger.

cheers
FermoFelix

Postby Tibor on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am

Where did you get your grains ?
Tibor

Postby FermoFelix on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 am

I bought them on ebay from a German Vendor. I am from Germany as well :)

The cultures had a few days in the freezing cold....

The newest batch with raspberries is now starting to smell like vinegar :DDDD JIPPPYY
FermoFelix

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments