How fresh should veggies be at time of fermentation?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How fresh should veggies be at time of fermentation?

Postby Hollett on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:49 am

Hi All!

I am really craving some fresh kimchi and was thinking about making a batch. However, I'm wondering how truly fresh the cabbage and carrots at my local co-op are at this time of the year- probably from last summer at this point, yes?

So my question for you more experienced fermenters is whether or not it's still okay for me to make a batch of kimchi, or should I really wait until veg is at its peak freshness again in my area?

The reason I'm wondering is because I've done a bunch of kimchi and lacto-ferments over the last couple of years and the only one that didn't work out was done with cabbage and carrots from my mom's root cellar. This has left me feeling suspicious.

Please educate me! Thanks :))
Hollett

Re: How fresh should veggies be at time of fermentation?

Postby alisoncc on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I work on the basis that I can't expect kraut to be crisp months down the track if it doesn't start off crisp. Cabbage that has been harvested the morning of the day I use it always produces a much better kraut than cabbage bought at the supermarket, which could have been in cold storage for weeks.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:33 am

I find it easy to agree that the fresher that produce is, the better. But on the other hand, I ferment vegetables from the market all times of year and get good results.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Hollett on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:06 am

Absolutely, there's no doubt that fresh is best! Thanks, Christopher, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't waste a bunch of organic veg and end up with a jar of mould. :)
Hollett

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

I mean, you might end up with a jar of mold -- I've done it. But it won't be because it's winter. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments