Sourdough starter uses other than bread

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sourdough starter uses other than bread

Postby kefirchi on Mon May 15, 2017 5:25 pm

My first attempt to make sourdough bread wasn't successful. The sourdough starter was fine but it seems that my oven doesn't reach a high enough temperature without smoking and so am looking to try again - but just to make crackers, rotis etc. I really like that tanginess. I've seen that people make use of the discarded starter dough to make things other than bread but not just for this purpose. If anyone has done this or has a recipe, I'd very much appreciate some help/suggestions.

Thank you.
kefirchi

Re: Sourdough starter uses other than bread

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 am

I like normal bread, but honestly, what I do most with my sourdough starter is biscuits. I follow this process: http://gdonna.com/cooking-from-scratch/ ... -biscuits/
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby kefirchi on Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Christopher - I'm going to give that a try :)
kefirchi

Postby curtijam on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:43 am

I like to make pancakes with mine. Depending on the water / flour ratios of my starter, I add more water until its a batter consistency, then pour straight into into a hot oiled frying pan. Add your favourite toppings... delicious!
curtijam

Postby cerbu on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:56 am

good for a multicreal variation of this http://www.beetsandbones.com/russian-fe ... -porridge/
cerbu

Postby nmidler on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi, I haven't been very successful with making sourdough bread, but i have plenty of starter.

You might want to consider using extra starter to make sourdough noodles. All you need is starter, flour, and egg yolks.

There have been a few times when I didn't even use egg yolks. I was attempting to make sourdough bread but the dough wasn't rising well, so instead of baking the dough, i spread the dough on my cutting board and used a pizza cutter to make noodles. They were pretty amazing actually. Chewy, and with that sourdough tangy flavor. Ingredients were starter, flour, water and a bit of salt that bread recipes call for.

Making noodles with starter works for me, because i like savory, spicy, and salty meals rather than sweet meals (e.g. pancakes). You are unlimited with the types of meats or veggies you can add to the noodles.
nmidler

Postby kefir_14 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 pm

You can also use the sourdough culture to make pizza bases.
kefir_14

Postby nmidler on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm

@kefir_14, how do you use it for a pizza base? any suggestions? or ratios that work well for you?
nmidler

Postby nmidler on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:08 pm

Fried bread

I made fried bread this morning with a leftover batch of sourdough starter. Super simple. Added a little oil to a frying pan. Poured the sourdough starter and added some dried rosemary and oregeno spices on top. When it was browned on the bottom, flipped over and added some more spices. that's it. Quick and tasty. Made fresh hummus to accompany the bread.
nmidler

Postby Salt_and_Intuition on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:52 am

I add it to just about everything. You can convert your favorite recipes, especially quick breads. If you have a 100% hydration starter, then your starter is going to 50/50 water and flour. When converting recipes, decide how much starter you'd like to use, which may be based on what you actually have, then divide that number in half and subtract it from the flour and the liquid in your recipe. (Ex: I'm adding 200g of starter/discard to my loaf bread. I'm going to remove 100g of flour from the recipe and 100g of milk/liquid from the recipe as well.)

Here are some of my favorite things to make with sourdough discard.
- Biscuits
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Naan
- Baked Custard
- Gravy (Important: make a slurry with discard first)
Salt_and_Intuition

Next

Return to Grain Ferments