Capers made from grapes?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Capers made from grapes?

Postby Ablot on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

I've recently read of someone fermenting elderberries to make 'capers'. Has anyone tried the same with unripe grapes? (There are loads growing wild here in rural France and I would love to know if something can be done with them).
Ablot

Re: Capers made from grapes?

Postby Ablot on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:36 am

I don't know if anyone is following this, but here is an update. The grapes are fermenting well, the fruit now has taken some of the sweetness from the honey, and perhaps from the cider vinegar. I think it will need a month or so for the fruits to lose the crispness. The interesting thing is that the ferment is now producing a mother of vinegar, which is great ... but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with it besides making more vinegar?
Ablot

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

Neat! Can you tell us a little more about what you did. I don't know anything about how capers are normally prepared.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Dgocowboy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Capers are the pickled buds of a Mediterranean shrub, so something made from grapes, however good it may be, would be a far cry from real capers. That said, I've heard of people making caper substitutes with pickled nasturtium seeds, and I'm guessing they just wanted a little burst of sourness. As was mentioned above, I'd be interested in hearing how your experiment turned out, and what you did, spices you used, etc.
Dgocowboy

Return to Miscellaneous