Question_Storing Tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Question_Storing Tempeh

Postby Iskra on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 am

I made a nice batch of tempeh , I vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge, the next day the packages had turned into bags of air, my tempeh was sitting in a bubble. It was still delicious and hadn't spoiled in any way, but I had to rescue it as there was condensation also in the bloated bags. Can somebody please enlighten me as to the best way to store tempeh in the fridge without it getting condensation, and whether it is OK to vacuum seal it. My vacuum sealer is a new toy and I couldn't find any info regarding using it to store tempeh. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
Iskra

Re: Question_Storing Tempeh

Postby Tibor on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Fresh Tempeh has a short shelf life. I usually store it in a Tupperware type of container and eat it within days but for long term storage I vacuum seal it and freeze it. I have never vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge but I am surprised that it did as you described. It sounds like you actually didn't get a good vacuum seal.
Tibor

Re: Question_Storing Tempeh

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:35 am

You could test the poor-seal hypothesis by squeezing the inflated bag. I'd assume the tempeh was alive and giving off gasses that inflated the bag.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Legume Ferments