New thing: Black garlic!

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New thing: Black garlic!

Postby Polo on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 am

Black garlic taste delicious and should be extremely easy to make as it only requires a handful of garlic thrown in to a rice cooker on the "keep warm" setting for a couple of weeks! :D :D

However, the typical rice cooker has an aluminium pot coated with toxic PFAS / PFCS (a group including PFOA and Teflon (PTFE)). If the garlic are fermenting over weeks it will surely absorb some of the toxic material with defies the whole purpose of making a health food. :(

The best rice cooker I could find (I live in Europe) was from KeMar and has an aluminium pot coated with titanium-ceramic (I am yet to find out weather or not the aluminium is anodized (safer option that doesn't leach as easy)). The lid and steamer insert is made of stainless steel.

Have any of you tried making black garlic? What considerations have you had concerning the safety of the equipment used? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Best rice cooker option:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B012W6 ... 7ZX5&psc=1
Polo

Re: New thing: Black garlic!

Postby Tibor on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 am

My rice cooker is all SS. The pot has a multilayer bottom. The company is called Oyama and I got it on Amazon years ago and it works great. Aluminum anything is dangerous for your body along with Teflon coated pots.
I've heard of black garlic but have not yet tried it.
Tibor

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 am

We recently got an Instant Pot and have been using that instead of our old rice maker. It has a stainless pot. There is a "mini" sized one. that might be good for black garlic.

However, I'm most interested in you calling it a health food. What are the healthy attributes supposed to be? Also, just to make sure, we're talking about this?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Polo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am

That sounds good! The American Amazon have a great variety of rice cookers - Oyama is one of them.

Yes, that is indeed the black garlic in question. A kind of an Instant Pot seems like a good idea - something I'll look into.

Fermentation doubles the ORAC content and converts the powerful antioxidant "allicin" into a more stable and bioavailable antioxidant S-allyl-cysteine (SAC).

Allicin in fresh garlic breaks down within an hour after being crushed which complicates matters.

Health-wise it seems as black garlic is an overall superfood that surpasses fresh garlic in all areas - cancer, heart, cholesterol, inflammation etc.

The taste is incredible and very unique (I have never tasted anything like it). :mrgreen:

Mercola has created a black garlic supplement where the garlic has been fermented by enzymes and microbes both. What kind of fermentation taking place when doing it in a rice cooker I don't know, but listening to his segment it sounds like only one of the two will occur. :P

http://products.mercola.com/black-garlic-supplement/

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... arlic.aspx

https://www.juicingwithg.com/health-ben ... ck-garlic/
Polo

Postby slaithe on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

I'd love to do this, soon!

Atm, I live in an apt building so no way I could get away with it since it's so pungent.
slaithe

Postby Polo on Sat May 12, 2018 10:45 am

Living in an apt building definitely presents a challenge. Even if the neighbours doesn't object it is really too much for one self!

I too live in an apt and made a set up in the basement, where we all have a little rum for storage. I made a platform for the pot and smuggled in an electrical cord which worked out quite well.

The smell was quite pungent but no one suspected anything or had any complaints.

However, the crock pot wasn't sealed and all moist evaporated and left the garlic hard as rocks! It hasn't been possible to find a rice-cooker or a pressure cooker with a stainless steal inset so far (I have spend hours researching :roll: ), but will keep on looking...
Polo

Postby irie1029 on Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 am

I do my black garlic closed in a canning jar which is kept warm in a dehydrator. Nice thing is now worry on moisture BTW I used beer :)
irie1029

Postby Polo on Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 am

Brilliant! Thank you so much :D :D :D .

What do you mean that you use beer?
Polo

Postby irie1029 on Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 am

Sorry for the delay. I used just enough to dampen the bottom of the canning jar. 1/8" of beer in bottom.
irie1029

Return to Vegetable Ferments