Salty Crock Lid

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Salty Crock Lid

Postby roamingkevin on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello.
I'm new to Fermentation I'm not going to lie about that, I am curntly fermenting my 6th batch of kraut and I have a TSM German Style Fermentation Harvest Pot 10 liter crock that I got a year ago. My question is that the more I use it the more salt deposit builds up on the lid. I'm happy with about a 7 week ferment and I make 15 lbs of kraut each fermentation, I shred 5lbs at a time and use 3TBS of kosher salt per 5lbs and I also use a 2% salt brine for the moat. The temperature stays about 70. I clean the crock and weights with water and vinegar. Is this salt a problem or not because its getting bad this time.
Thanks. Kevin
roamingkevin

Re: Salty Crock Lid

Postby gardener on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm

My guess is that more water is evaporating from your moat where it meets the lid, thus more salt crystals are forming. Why would it do that? Lower room humidity. If you use a winter heating system that does not put water into the air, then your indoor air can get pretty dry. (I'm guessing you are in the northern hemisphere-- so winter right now). My basement's relative humidity is 18% and I walk around the house getting shocked on everything I touch, even on water coming out of the tap.

I doubt if the salt is a problem. Just keep the moat filled. Maybe sometimes with fresh water, since all the salt is still there.
gardener

Postby roamingkevin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info gardener, I was hoping that may be the issue, I have not lost a batch yet so I was being a bit cautious.
roamingkevin

Postby jdinid on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 pm

What gardener said. The salt is from the evaporation of the moat water. PlIn water works just fine.
jdinid

Return to Vegetable Ferments