Chilli Fermentation

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Chilli Fermentation

Postby robbie.sam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:03 am

Hey everyone,

I've just started to ferment a batch of Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion chillies for a hot sauce.

I've read that a cloudy brine is okay but I would just like some reassurance as it's my first time dealing with fermentation.

Here are a couple of photo of one of my jars. Both of the jars look almost identical and the photos were taken about 4 days into the process.

https://flic.kr/p/26uHShm
https://flic.kr/p/GUsgBV

I can't see any mould or smell anything funny either. Does it look okay? Should I change anything?

Also, the recipe I followed didn't say to keep the chillies submerged. Should I use anything to weigh them down?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks.
robbie.sam

Re: Chilli Fermentation

Postby irie1029 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:34 am

yes I would weigh them down so brine covers completely. The only question remains is what is brine? Vinegar? or just H20 and salt? BTW that looks insanely hot.
irie1029

Postby baerdric on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:02 am

That's what mine always looks like and they are always really good.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby robbie.sam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:33 pm

irie1029 wrote:yes I would weigh them down so brine covers completely. The only question remains is what is brine? Vinegar? or just H20 and salt? BTW that looks insanely hot.

Thanks, it's just H20 and Himalayan Pink salt.

baerdric wrote:That's what mine always looks like and they are always really good.

That's good to hear. How long do you usually let yours ferment?
robbie.sam

Postby baerdric on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm still working that out, but the last batch was 10 days. Still a little crunchy for me so I might go a full 2 weeks next time.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby jdinid on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 pm

You can let it go as long as you want. I would go a minimum of four weeks and you can let it sit for months.
jdinid

Postby Tibor on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm

I leave mine out for 5 weeks. By that time the cut up peppers( I add lots of garlic ) are covered with what looks like a dusting of snow on all surfaces. I use clear glass vases for this ferment and can see all the action going on, and after 5 weeks I throw it into the blender and add back just enough brine to get the consistency I want for my sauce .I save the rest of the brine and use that in other cooking sauces.
Tibor

Postby irie1029 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 am

Tibor wrote:I leave mine out for 5 weeks. By that time the cut up peppers( I add lots of garlic ) are covered with what looks like a dusting of snow on all surfaces. I use clear glass vases for this ferment and can see all the action going on, and after 5 weeks I throw it into the blender and add back just enough brine to get the consistency I want for my sauce .I save the rest of the brine and use that in other cooking sauces.

Hey that is a great Idea! Cant wait to try it.
irie1029

Postby robbie.sam on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 am

Dont want to start a new thread, so I'll continue this one.

I'm a week into my second hot sauce fermentation and noticed that there was no bubbling like the first batch. There are some bubbles but nothing exciting.

Went through my notes and realised I forgot to add the sugar to my brine. :!:

So, just wondering if it would be okay if I add some sugar in at this point? I was about to add it in, but thought I'd consult the pro's.

Thanks.
robbie.sam

Postby RobertN on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Robbie,

for the fermentation, additional sugar is not necessary at all. The lactic acid bacteria (LAB) can digest all kinds of carbohydrates.
You can add sugar afterwards, to round up your hot sauce. But if you not pasteurize it, the sugar will be soon converted to CO2 by the LAB's.
Good Luck!

Robert
RobertN

Next

Return to Vegetable Ferments