3rd gallon of Kefir

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

3rd gallon of Kefir

Postby baerdric on Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 am

I'm almost through my third gallon of milk to make into kefir, and I am still not enjoying the taste.

The last gallon I tried was "Not homogenized" and that seemed to separate a little easier when I poured it to drink. This current gallon is organic, grass fed, homogenized and just pasteurized, not "ultra pasteurized".

I keep hoping that I will learn to like it as I did with sauerkraut and other ferments, but it still tastes like milk about to go bad. I'm sure I'm doing it right, because in all other ways it seems perfect. Creamy and a little jelled, and tending to separate at the bottom if I leave it too long. My grains are growing and seem happy and robust. It also tastes exactly like the plain unsweetened kefir my HFS sells.

Worst of all, as I'm experiencing as I type this, I'm getting a little GERD. I had ended all GERD symptoms 20 years back when I went low carb, and excluded grains and dairy. I was kind of hoping dairy was never really the problem.

I might have to give up on this experiment.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: 3rd gallon of Kefir

Postby irie1029 on Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 am

everything you noted above seems correct. Have you tried a second ferment with slice of lemon? (or lemon ginger) This is done AFTER removing grains. I have done this for 12 hours and 24 hours and as little as 2 hours sitting on counter. It makes it taste sweeter and boosts vitamin absorption. Also, after I complete the straining of kefir grains I transfer to a PET plastic soda bottle so I can shake the crap out of it before pouring. I keep it refrigerated after straining and can sit on it for 2 or 3 weeks before consuming. Good Luck.
irie1029

Return to Dairy Ferments