Yogurt Issue Resolved, Some Questions Still

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Yogurt Issue Resolved, Some Questions Still

Postby Craig on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:34 pm

I used left over Easiyo unsweetened Greek, added it to some Nestle Nido and got a 'set' yogurt.

However, I'm still at a loss at how those same Three strains that I bought separately, doesn't give me a 'set' consistency when added to milk powder yet those same specific strains that ARE included in the Easiyo do!

Is there anyone out there who can shed light on this contradictory issue?
Craig

Re: Yogurt Issue Resolved, Some Questions Still

Postby dri on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 am

Well, a likely possibility is that while you added the three strains, you had different species within those strains compare to say those in Easiyo. If you think of a bacteria species as "dogs" (species Canis familiaris), while bacteria strains would be akin to different breeds. Some breeds are generally large, others generally small, some are aggressive, some want to run, some want to sit on your lap. There is a wide wide range of variations within a species. Might not be enough to just have a dog, if you are looking for a particular specialized function. Same with bacteria, just matching species will likely get related behavior (e.g. consuming lactose) but the level of consumption and byproducts can vary.
dri

Postby baerdric on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:04 pm

None of my business really, and no disparagement intended, but I can't help but wonder why you aren't using real milk and cream and using previous yogurt cultures to start them?

I can only guess that you don't have access to the real products or the "Wild Fermentation" starters?
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby dri on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

baerdric wrote:None of my business really, and no disparagement intended, but I can't help but wonder why you aren't using real milk and cream and using previous yogurt cultures to start them?

I can only guess that you don't have access to the real products or the "Wild Fermentation" starters?

I cannot comment on the Poster's usage of power, but its a common approach to getting much thicker results for either yogurt or kefir, as you basically can use much less water. When I startd I've used powder skim multiple times when going for the Greek-style as there is less waste compared to straining off 1/2 to 2/3 liquid whey. It does change the taste a bit, but when I'm making stronger flavored versions (dark chocolate or citrus) you don't even notice the difference. But since I often get regular or chocolate milk so cheap (1.99/gallon) and since I use the whey for other things (soaking oats, fermenting juice) I don't use powder as much as i used to.
dri

Return to Dairy Ferments