Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Honey Garlic, New and Need Help

Postby mboak on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am

garlic honey.jpg
2.5 months later, supposed to be fermented
garlic honey.jpg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 3505 times

Greetings Wild Fermentation people,

Chris Weeks encouraged me to post this here.

I'm very new to fermentation and would appreciate your judgment/advice.

This is the second time I've tried fermenting garlic in honey. The first time went well and after a few weeks, I was eating delicious honey garlic.
This 2nd time I didn't see many bubbles in the initial weeks (though I was very busy at the time and not too observant) and after a couple months the garlic is still floating (largely). I believe after two months it should have sunk: is that right?

I keep waiting, hoping it will sink, and then I have the green light that it has fermented (perhaps that's wrong thinking?)

The garlic doesn't look so good anymore. Looks like its decaying or something.

Would you mind looking at the photo and voicing your opinion... should I pitch this? I hate to pitch all this raw honey and garlic (unless it's truly bad). I sip the honey now and then and it tastes different than the first batch, not as inviting - at a loss of words for describing. Perhaps sourer.

I made sure there was lots of garlic and even added a couple teaspoons of water to make sure there was enough moisture to ferment.

Do you know of a detailed guide/recipe for this process? I followed an article online and there are no specific quantities given.

I know the temperature was often in the lower 60's (F), does it need to be at room temperature?

I was quite regular at stirring it, or at least taking off the lid, once a day.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Micah of Oregon
mboak

Re: Honey Garlic, New and Need Help

Postby mboak on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 pm

By the way, I solved the mystery (if there ever was a mystery).

The fermentation process was a fail!

I ate a few of these unsightly garlic cloves, against my better judgment, and it was disgusting (not to mention the effects to the gut).

Lesson learned: if the garlic doesn't bubble and drop (like it's supposed to) and turns into decayed floating garlic it's a failed experiment.
mboak

Re: Honey Garlic, New and Need Help

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 am

It's a shame we don't know what went wrong!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments