Koji fermentation timing for shoyu

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Koji fermentation timing for shoyu

Postby Lulu on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I am in the process of making shoyu and at hour 40 of the bean and wheat koji fermentation I discovered that the temperature had spiked to 45°C. This happened overnight so I wasn’t sure how long the temperature had been elevated. The koji was relatively mature and I wasn’t able to monitor the koji over the next few hours so I opted to mix the moromi early.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am wondering what the best course of action is in this case. I am assuming that ideally I would have monitored the koji carefully to make sure that it didn’t sporulate early and proceeded as normal. But perhaps I’ve ruined the whole mix by going over the ideal temp for the development of the correct enzymes. I’d love to get feedback from folks with more experience.
Lulu

Re: Koji fermentation timing for shoyu

Postby cerbu on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 am

it is ok, 'do not let perfection stand in the way of progress-[ dr G ]'
cerbu

Postby Lulu on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks! I’d still like to hear from others as to their experiences. But maybe there aren’t a lot of folks making shoyu?
Lulu

Postby cerbu on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

I make it from other legumes , once koji overheated like yours , ended up good , so do not wory. Next time spread it more after about 24 hours
cerbu

Postby Lulu on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks!
Lulu

Return to Legume Ferments