re-using brine

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

re-using brine

Postby curtijam on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Hello,

I've seen a few posts on this using the search, but still unclear.

Can you reuse the brine from a vegetable ferment, in further ferments?

Thanks!
curtijam

Re: re-using brine

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:46 pm

You can.

However, if you look at a typical ferment using a freshly concocted brine, different organisms colonize the jar, metabolize what they can, and then fade into the background as they ruin the environment for themselves, allowing a new organism to step forward. It's commonly noted that there are three main bumps in the prototypical succession. So, starting with a mature brine, will surely cause some kind of fermentation, but it might not be quite what you're expecting. That said, if you're just making quick snacks, and not something you wish to preserve, for seasons, it probably doesn't much matter. Try it and see if you like it.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby baerdric on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:58 pm

I do it all the time. I don't worry about the relative populations, because it's just a seed I use anyway, an ounce or so. I assume that there are a few of every previous kind of bacteria in there, and they will rise and fall as the ferment progresses.

Eventually, as that seed is passed along over various veggies from various places, I imagine that it will pick up a wider and wider variety of types, which may or may not help the ferment, but will probably help my gut.

Now, if you are using the full amount of brine, that might raise an issue.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby curtijam on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 am

thanks Chris and Bill, useful replies!
curtijam

Postby agines19 on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:50 am

What is the issue in reusing the whole brine? Is it just that it doesn't progress through fermentation stages so you don't really get what the bacteria that you want? Or could produce some bacteria that you don't want?

Here is what happened with my onions when reusing almost 100% of a prev brine.

https://youtu.be/4Kv6xUkihr4

How is that different from how some people reuse pickle brine? Maybe they don't let it ferment but just absorb in the fridge?
agines19

Postby BeckyD on Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:36 am

Christopher Weeks wrote:You can.

However, if you look at a typical ferment using a freshly concocted brine, different organisms colonize the jar, metabolize what they can, and then fade into the background as they ruin the environment for themselves, allowing a new organism to step forward. It's commonly noted that there are three main bumps in the prototypical succession. So, starting with a mature brine, will surely cause some kind of fermentation, but it might not be quite what you're expecting. That said, if you're just making quick snacks, and not something you wish to preserve, for seasons, it probably doesn't much matter. Try it and see if you like it.

:) I agree, thank you
BeckyD

Return to Vegetable Ferments