Can a Ferment "Implode"?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Can a Ferment "Implode"?

Postby captain.tinker on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:55 pm

I know I've had some of my ferments expand before and actually push themselves out of the jars, but is it possible to have a ferment "implode"? What I mean by this is I use a silicone airlock and it looks like it is sucked down most of the time, despite the obvious bubbling within. Tonight I came home to find it had popped out and sucked into the jar. At least that's what it looked like. I figured maybe one of my kids had been messing with it, pressing it down and pressed too hard and didn't want to admit it. Both of them swore up and down it wasn't them. So, I've got no clue, is that possible? It doesn't smell badly, it smells correct. It's just a jar full of sliced serrano peppers in brine. They taste ok too. There was a small bit of odd looking slimy stuff around the edges on top of the liquid, but it came out in one scoop of a spoon. It didn't seem to affect the flavor or the smell. It's been in the pantry fermenting for about 2 months maybe? *SHRUG* I don't know.
captain.tinker

Re: Can a Ferment "Implode"?

Postby baerdric on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Unless there were temperature changes I can't think of how that might happen. Liquid levels can retreat when CO2 bubbling stops, but that's a pressure neutral thing.

Not saying it didn't happen, I just can't think of how. Do you have a cat?
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Can a Ferment "Implode"?

Postby captain.tinker on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:26 pm

No cat. It was in the pantry. Temps have been fairly cool in the house, between 68 and 72. The bubbling hadn't actually stopped, but it never did seem to push the airlock up any further. I wonder if however I put it on that maybe the pressure may have been pushing it up, but it might have pushed in such a way that it wrinkled downward as it pulled out of the ring? That's really the only thing I can think of. I don't know, I was hoping one of my kids would fess up to screwing around with it as that honestly makes the most sense, but they both vehemently deny it. :roll:
captain.tinker

Return to Vegetable Ferments