Blue Mentholated Garlic

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Blue Mentholated Garlic

Postby baerdric on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Apparently the search function won't let you search for the word "Garlic", so I'm starting a new topic.

I've lost two jars now, and I'm wondering if it's from bruising the garlic while peeling it. I know a lot of plants produce odd chemicals when they get bruised.

My first jar was only fermented 10 days, and I did read something about letting it go longer and about storing it in the fridge. So I stored it in the fridge and let the second jar go a lot longer. They both just got more blue and more mentholated.

So has anyone figured out the correct trick here? I really want some fermented garlic.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Blue Mentholated Garlic

Postby Dostoevsky on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:28 am

baerdric wrote:My first jar was only fermented 10 days

10 days is nothing when fermenting whole cloves. You should ferment them for at least 30 days before throwing them in the fridge.

I originally posted about my fermented garlic several months ago. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21028
Dostoevsky

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 am

Yeah, I usually eat brined garlic after a year. My favorite garlic ever is buried in miso, but that also takes years to really develop. I served some at a fermentation workshop in April that was seven years old and delicious. At that age, the periphery of the garlic is a little unclear and it gets creamy. The miso all around the jar tastes strongly of garlic.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby baerdric on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Well, that's obviously way outside anything I've done.
I guess I'll set some up and just forget about it for a while.

Darn it, I want some now. Thanks guys!
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Return to Vegetable Ferments